Sunday, July 7, 2013

How many miles is Ken riding and why??

Greetings!  Welcome to my charity bike ride blog, where between July 14 and August 4, I'll be blogging from the road over the course of cycling 800 miles during two charity rides, the Anchor House Ride for the Runaways and the Pan Mass Challenge. You don't need to make a donation of course to enjoy this blog. If you have made a donation to one of these rides, thanks! Here's what I'll be doing:

July 14 to July 20: I'll be riding 500 miles over 7 days in my sixth Anchor House Ride for the Runaways. The Anchor House Foundation (http://anchorhousenj.org)  is an amazing organization that provides a refuge for homeless, runaway, abused and at-risk children in central New Jersey. The Ride for the Runaways is Anchor House’s biggest fundraising activity of the year and helps keep the doors open for this incredible organization. This year, the rides's 35th, will start from Burlington, Vt. and travel south to Rutland before heading west into New York State. We then ride down the lovely Hudson River Valley before crossing over into PA at Matamroas and making our way through rural (and hilly) PA and NJ to our destination just outside of Trenton New Jersey. If you're interested in sponsoring my ride, please go the Anchor House site http://www.anchorhouseride.org/Donate and simply select my name under participant. If you have already made a donation, thanks!

August 2 to August 4: After taking 12 days off, I'll be biking about 300 miles over three days in my second Pan Mass Challenge.


Last year's ride, my first  PMC, was an incredibly emotional experience for me- cycling with cancer survivors, current cancer patients, and people lining the route thanking us for raising money for cancer research, many of them holding up signs saying how long they were cancer free. We raised an amazing $37 million in all- 100% of that money dedicated to cancer treatment and research. This year, I am literally going the extra mile in this fight against cancer. Along with a friend,  I will start on August 2nd in West Stockbridge MA on the NY state line and bike an extra 87 miles to the official start in Sturbridge MA. We will then bike over the next two days to Provincetown, making this truly a Pan Massachusetts challenge, pedaling 280 miles in all.  If you're interested in making a donation to my ride, please click on this link pmc.org/profile/KC0258. If you've already made a donation, thank you!!

I'm now tapering down my training. I've logged just under 2000 miles since January 1- about 900 miles on my racing bike (a Serotta Ottrott) and 1000 miles on my commuting bike(s). I'm ready to ride!





2 comments:

  1. OMG, he's doing it again!

    Be super careful, brother.

    We'll be rooting for all o' y'all!

    Love,

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ken!
    You look good buddy! I enjoyed the photos you took from the road showing the picturesque New England countryside--all except those contaminated by a shot of a fellow riders sweaty crack farther ahead in the road. Just don't draft too closely, that's all I'm sayin'.
    I liked the photo of the camel too. Remember, a two-hump camel is called a Bactrian and and one-hump camel is called a Dromedary. You can remember this because a "B" turned on its side makes two humps and a "D" makes one hump. Thought that bit of trivia might help take your mind off the those burning quadriceps.

    You are cycling for two very worthy causes. I hope you're surviving the heat and humidity. All the best!
    Jim

    ReplyDelete